PS5 | Definition : What is a PlayStation 5?
What Is a PS5?
PlayStation 5 / PS5
Sony’s next-generation PlayStation 5 or PS5 console is available in two versions; the PS5 Standard Edition and PS5 Digital Edition.
PS5 games are bought and downloaded directly from Sony’s official PlayStation Store.
Released in November 2020, the PlayStation 5 Standard Edition is priced at $499 and comes with the following specifications:
- Blu-ray player
- Wifi receiver
- 825 GB of SSD storage
- AMD Ryzen Zen 2 3.5 GHz processor
- 16 GB of GDDR6 SDRAM
- 8k resolution (4320p)
The PS5 Digital Edition is the same as the PS5 Standard version but does not come with the blu-ray player.
What Year Did the PlayStation 5 Release?
Sony began development on the PlayStation 5 in 2015 just two years after the release of the PlayStation 4 in 2013.
Mark Cerny officially announced the PS5 and its features in 2019.
We had to wait until November 2020 for the PS5 Standard Edition to release.
The PS5 Digital Edition launched at the same time as the PS5 Standard Edition, which comes without the blu-ray player.
Unfortunately, chip shortages due to the coronavirus pandemic and poor stock management saw the PS5 very difficult to get ahold of at its official launch price.
Those lucky enough to get hold of a PlayStation 5 were often forced to spend more than $1,000 for the console from scalps who bought out stocks to resell them at a higher price.
It was not uncommon to find PS5 Standard Edition and PS5 Digital Edition consoles on sale from e-commerce sites for more than $700 and $1000.
Are My PS4 Games Backward Compatible On the PS5?
Yes, a number of PS4 and retro games are playable on your PS5 Standard and PS5 Digital Edition console.
Before the release of the PS5, Sony confirmed there would initially be backward compatibility problems with the PS4 video game catalog.
At launch, the PS5 had ten backward compatible games but that list quickly grew with nine additional games.
List Of Non-Retro Compatible PS5 Games:
- Assassin’s Creed Syndicate
- Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack
- Space Junkies
- Assassin’s Creed Chronicles India
- Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China
- AC Chronicles Russia
- Star Trek Bridge Crew
- Werewolves Within
- Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 2
- Just Deal With It!
- Shadow Complex Remastered
- Robinson: The Journey
- We Sing
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- Joe’s Diner
Can I Play My PSVR Games On PS5?
Yes, the PlayStation VR headset is fully compatible with the PS5.
It is not necessary to buy a new headset to enjoy PS VR games you already own or will buy in the future.
However, you do need two specific items to play PS VR games.
What You Need to Play PS VR on the PS5:
- PlayStation camera
- PlayStation camera adapter
You can get the PlayStation camera adapter for free on Sony’s website by submitting your PSVR serial number.
How Do I Play My PS4 Games on PS5?
- PS5 Standard Edition owners: Insert the PS4 disc into the PS5 drive and play the game directly from the disc.
- PS5 Digital Edition owners: Find the game in your PlayStation library and download it from the PlayStation Network (PSN) profile.
Synonyms: PlayStation 5 / PS5 / PS5 DE / PS5 SE / PSV / Play Station 5
- ANNO Mutationem: Neon-Cyberpunk Pixel Game unveils its March release date.
- ANNO Mutationem has a release date, and it comes with a trailer that shows off its neon-colored world and pixel art style.
- Buy Shadowrun Trilogy PS5 Price Comparison
- Buy F1 22 PS5 Price Comparison
- Buy Shadowrun Dragonfall Director’s Cut PS5 Price Comparison
- Buy Dying Light 2 PS5 Price Comparison