About this game
Welcome to the magical world of FINAL FANTASY IX, a timeless classic that has captured the hearts of gamers around the world. With over five million copies sold since its initial release in 2000, this epic adventure now proudly returns to your preferred consoles. Prepare to embark on an unforgettable journey alongside Zidane and his companions, where secrets, crystals, and a looming malevolent force await your exploration.
- Weaves a captivating narrative filled with unexpected twists. It all begins with the daring kidnapping of Princess Garnet, but as the story unfolds, you’ll find that the princess herself yearns to escape her royal confines. Join Zidane, Steiner, and other memorable characters as they set out on a remarkable journey, discovering the secrets of the Crystal and facing a sinister force threatening their world.
- Enhance your characters’ capabilities by equipping various items. Once fully mastered, these abilities can be utilized without the need for specific items, providing a wide range of customization options to tailor your party to your liking.
- Engage in thrilling battles and fill your Trance gauge by sustaining hits. When fully charged, your characters can enter Trance mode, unlocking powerful new skills that can turn the tide of battle in your favor.
- Get creative with item crafting by combining two items or equipment pieces to create superior, stronger items. Never let any items go to waste as you enhance your party’s equipment.
- When you’re not busy saving the world, immerse yourself in entertaining mini-games like Chocobo Hot and Cold, Jump Rope, or Tetra Master. These diversions offer a fun break from your quest and the opportunity to earn special item rewards that can aid you on your journey.
I never thought that I would ever have the chance to play Final Fantasy IX on a Nintendo console, and, with Nintendo Switch, Square Enix has perhaps found the perfect place to experience the genre classic. Complete with its twists and turns, you can chip away at this roughly 40-hour quest both at home and on the move, which I can only hope will allow more players the time needed to reach the game’s grand and, for some at least, tear-inducing conclusion.
The sound and gameplay both hold up and there’s something cool about playing this on a Nintendo console after all the history shared between them and Sony. It’s also the same port we’ve seen with options to speed up the time spent in battles. So if it’s the first time you’re experiencing the game then you’re in for a treat and I’m glad to see it on the Switch, but at a current price of just over $20 for those with other options you may want to wait for a sale.
If you’re a fan of RPGs and somehow haven’t played Final Fantasy IX yet, it’s certainly worth a download for the privilege of playing this classic on the go. On the other hand, if you’re just getting into RPGs, Final Fantasy IX may be a little too obtuse and archaic to recommend when compared to more modern releases. Whichever camp you may fall in, the bottom line is that warts and all, Final Fantasy IX remains a great RPG to this day; you likely won’t regret picking this one up.