New World – All You Need to Know
New World, Amazon’s upcoming MMO, remains in Alpha testing, with details still being kept under NDA, but there has been a recent dev update and some impactful gameplay changes, which we can share below.
By Ingo | Windfell
What Is New World?
New World is a new MMO in development by Amazon Game Studios.
Set on the supernatural and fictional island of Aeternum in the 17th century, players will explore, fight, and trade as they make a name for themselves in the Age of Exploration.
You can expect to discover ancient ruins during your journey, fight supernatural enemies, and wage war on player-run factions.
What Kind of MMO Is New World?
New world will feature plenty of PvE, with lots of questing, crafting, foraging, and bosses to fight.
However, for those who want to step away from the standard MMO RPG experience, there is the 50v50 PvP War Mode, where you will wage war against other players and storm their forts.
What Classes Are In New World?
There are no classes in New World. Players can progress how they wish to by customizing their masteries, abilities, and skills.
It’s your character, your journey, and only you can choose your fate.
Do I Need a Subscription to Play New World?
No. There is no subscription needed to play and instead you will pay a one-time fee of $40 to purchase the game from Amazon or Steam.
There may be future expansions that require purchasing after the game has launched.
The latest New World patch notes, released January 19, reveal some crafting and combat system adjustments.
If you have not yet seen New World, you can jump into the game’s first official trailer below.
Can I Sign Up For the New World Beta?
Yes. The game is currently in alpha, but there is a plan to enter closed beta on July 20th, and you can sign up now from the main site or by pre-ordering the game.
Is There PvP in New World?
Absolutely. As mentioned above, players can join Companies. In these groups, you can battle for land and dominance in massive fights featuring up to 100 players.
For those who want to stay away from politics and simply want to ruin another player’s day, you can fight other players on the road after you have joined one of the factions and enabled PvP.
What Is Combat Like In New World?
Combat works much like many other MMOs. Players can use swords, spears, bows, rifles, and a little bit of magic. All of which is determined by both active and passive skills.
Adding points into stats when you level will increase damage, agility, health, and others.
New World Release Date Update
In a recent announcement, the New World team announced that the game will now launch on August 31, 2021, with the main parts of the statement below.
“Last August we had a preview event where we wanted to present our progress and collect as much feedback as possible. We invited hundreds of thousands of players to New World. Your feedback and the way you played confirmed what improvements and additions we still needed to make to the game. Since then, we’ve polished the combat system, added more variety in quests, weapons and armour, brought fishing into the game, expanded the map to include the new Brackish Water region, reworked our crafting system and added more midgame and endgame content.
We are working hard on more exciting end-game features that we think need to be in the game by release. However, these features will not be ready by the originally communicated date in spring. Due to this, we will release New World on 31 August 2021. We will use the extra time to incorporate these substantial improvements and further tweak and polish the whole game before opening the gates of Aeternum to the whole world.
We will continue the alpha in the coming months and expand the test even further with EU servers from 30 March 2021. Our closed beta will start on 20 July 2021, and if you have pre-ordered New World, you will get access to the closed beta test.”
New World and Twitch
Amazon has placed a lot of emphasis on the relationship between streamers on Twitch and New World.
Upon release, the hope is that players in-game will be able to see those streaming live at the time and then jump straight into their stream.
Those watching on Twitch can join a streamer’s party in-game directly by pressing a button.
The hope from Amazon is that this will enable much more interaction between viewers and streamers and encourage others to stream on the platform.
Crafting Mechanic Changes
Crafting is an important part of New World, and the developers want players to have crafting results relative to their skills and time invested.
The following are some of the recent changes to the crafting mechanics.
- Named items for most trade skills have been added, starting at tier 2 and going up to tier 5 to make end-game crafting relevant.
- Variety of rare resources and ingredients introduced to help craft named items.
- It is now easier to craft various items due to the introduction of categorical ingredients.
- Procedural crafting system overhauled to give players more control and flexibility, including the ability to invest different azoth levels, using lower and higher tier materials to increase or decrease crafting results, and procedural crafting can now result in named items.
- Recipe changes, with artifact recipes allowing a single item to be crafted and schematics permanently unlocking a recipe for future use.
- Trade skills now cap at 200.
Gear Mechanic Changes
There were also some changes to gear and new items added, which you can read all about below.
- More than 100 new named weapons and 50 new named armor pieces added, each with unique names, stats, and backstories.
- Items that reach 0 durability no longer automatically unequip but will instead have reduced performance.
- New Repair Kit added with 4 tiers.
- Repair Kit recipe added to crafting trade skills.
Changes to Food Mechanics
- There are now two types of food: buff food and recovery food.
- Recovery food will provide quick HP recovery, such as out-of-combat HP recovery and long term slow HP recovery.
- Buff food will provide long-term slow health recovery but not immediate recovery.
- Added food items that will buff a variety of attribute combinations
- Buffs from foods now persist through death, other buffs are still purged on death.
- Crafting and refining bonus foods unlock starting at tier 3 (gathering foods at tier 1).
New Legendary Rapier
Level 60 players can now embark on a quest to recover Frozen Lament, a legendary rapier that comes with two weapon trees:
- The Blood Tree focuses on stacking the Bleed status effect on enemies before delivering a highly damaging blow.
- The Elegance Tree focuses on dodging, countering, and the skillful use of the blade.
Adjustments to the Combat System
There are changes to combat, too, so keep reading.
- Players can now only equip 2 weapons instead of the previous 3.
- Players can now move during ranged attack animations.
- Ranged attack cancels now offer more flexibility to bring them in line with melee attacks.
- Grit breaking now triggers a visual and activates a sound effect to highlight a player’s Grit breaking.
Ingo is fast! Studied e-commerce and has his roots for now in lively Germany. At the same time, as an ambitious influencer consultant, he is close to gaming communities & game developers. He often knows what trends are currently going on. Ingo has a special fascination as game review editor.
More relevant articles
New World – All You Need to Know
February 24, 2021 | Gaming News
New World, Amazon’s upcoming MMO, remains in Alpha testing, with details still being kept under NDA, but there has been a recent dev update and some impactful gameplay changes, which we can share below. By Ingo | Windfell What Is New World? New World is a new MMO in development by Amazon Game Studios. Set on […]
New World Preview Event Underway
August 26, 2020 | Allkeyshop Video Gaming News
If you’ve been impatiently waiting for New World, Amazon Games’ first foray into the MMO scene, here’s some good news for you — the game’s Preview Event is now live and will allow players a “first-hand look” at the current state of the game. So how do you get into the Preview Event? […]
New World’s Combat System Explained
July 10, 2020 | Allkeyshop Video Gaming News
New World, Amazon’s MMO title is set to launch into beta in a couple of weeks, ahead of its full release next month, and we go through what we know about combat so far. New World recently had a new trailer released, showcasing some of the combat with clean visuals, but didn’t […]
New World Closed Beta: Here’s How You Can Join
July 2, 2020 | Allkeyshop Video Gaming News
Amazon’s move into the world of MMOs with New World is set to launch in August, and Amazon has announced how you can gain access to the game’s closed beta. New World is set on the shores of Aeternum, where players will need to forge their own path to success, forming Companies with other […]
New World War Hammers Introduced
June 27, 2020 | Allkeyshop Video Gaming News
Amazon Game Studios’ introduces the New World war hammers in a new thread on Twitter. This upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game will bring players to the mysterious land of Aeternum. In Aeternum you will be defending against invading forces from both human and supernatural, one of the weapons that you can choose from […]