How to Easily Install Skyrim Mods
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a great game right out of the box. But what makes such an old game so popular even now? Most likely, the fact that the Skyrim community created a lot of various mods to expand the gameplay in every possible way. Skyrim Mods help to refresh the gameplay by adding new quests, locations, and overall visual overhaul.
Fortunately, Bethesda highly welcomes any Skyrim modifications, unlike, for example, GTA V devs. Even more, modifications have become a selling point for Bethesda titles. The upcoming Bethesda game – Starfield, will be optimized for community projects right from the release. Skyrim is a great example of a replayable project, as some mods bring not only cutting-edge visuals but even full-fledged storylines. The best thing is that mods are not that hard to install. Let’s take a closer look at the Skyrim modification process.
Nexus Mod Manager
Nexus Mod Manager is a special utility that allows you to install mods for Skyrim without even unpacking them. The program will do everything on its own. You just need to download the required modifications. It should be noted that the program requires .Net Framework 4.6 and higher because mods won’t work without it. The utility can be downloaded pretty much anywhere for free, even from the developer’s site. Installation is effortless and straightforward, so there are no problems. But in any case, you need to download the mods you like first, preferably from trusted websites. As soon as you have the utility and mods, you can make a step forward.
- Launch the program using the shortcut on the desktop;
- Wait until the utility scans your PC for installed games, then click the green checkmark next to Skyrim;
- You’ll get a window for installing mods displaying the game’s file system. You have to click the green plus button and select “Add Mod from File”;
- Then pick the archive with the mod, return to the desktop and launch the game using the shortcut;
- Click on “Settings” in the launcher and enable the installed mod in the corresponding column. After that, you can run the game;
- If your mod causes glitches or drops your FPS too hard, simply remove it. Thanks to the Skyrim community, you can always find a similar mod.
Steam Workshop is a dedicated place for game mods without Steam. It allows you to quickly install any available mods in just seconds. Steam Workshop is the safest way of getting mods, as all mods are precisely checked. But keep in mind, Steam is all about licensed games. Not-quite-legal versions of Skyrim won’t benefit from Steam Workshop.
- Open the Steam webpage or Steam app and log in;
- Open Steam Workshop for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim;
- Click on any mod you like;
- Scroll down a bit and click on the Subscribe button;
- Run Skyrim on Steam and wait for the game to upload the mod. That’s it. You’re ready to go.